Twenty Questions To Ask Your Architect
- What does the architect see as important issues or considerations in your project?
- How will the architect approach your project?
- How will the architect gather information about your needs, goals, etc.?
- How will the architect establish priorities and make decisions?
- Who from the architecture firm will be dealing with you directly? Is that the same person who will be designing the project? Who will be designing the project?
- How interested is the architect in this project?
- How busy is the architect?
- What sets this architect apart from the rest?
- How does the architect establish fees?
- What would the architect expect the fee to be for this project?
- What are the steps in the design process?
- How does the architect organize the process?
- What does the architect expect you to provide?
- What is the architect’s design philosophy?
- What is the architect’s experience/track record with cost estimating?
- What will the architect show you along the way to explain the project? Will you see models, drawings, or sketches?
- If the scope of the project changes later in the project, will there be additional fees? How will these fees be justified?
- What services does the architect provided during construction?
- How disruptive will construction be? How long does the architect expect it to take to complete your project?
- Does the architect have a list of past clients with whom the firm has worked?
Find an Architect
Download a printer-friendly version of this packet.